Grab your hiking boots for an epic week hiking the Margaret River coastline & surrounding yourself in its rugged beauty
8 Day WA Cape-to-Cape Track Hike Highlights
Get up to 10% cash back per person when you book with us
An 8-day hiking tour along Margaret River's iconic Cape-to-Cape Track
Take in epic views of the Margaret River coastline on a series of clifftop walks
Explore diverse & beautiful landscapes on foot
Spend each night in a comfortable bed for a good night's sleep
The services to two expert leaders to join you each day of the walk
All accommodation: Motel (7 Nights)
Meals: 7 breakfasts, 7 lunches, 7 dinners
Transport: Walking, Private Vehicle
What to Expect
Frequently Asked Questions
This trip involves plenty of walking over varied terrain and is best suited to travellers with a good level of mobility. Good footwear, clothing for all types of weather, plus perhaps walking poles are recommended. Details on physical activities can be found in the itinerary.
There is no such thing as an 'easy day' on the Cape to Cape walk. There are a lot of ups and downs, often on soft sand, and there are several beach stretches. However, the walk has been designed to make it achievable to those with a reasonable amount of fitness because you only carry a daypack; you start with short distances, working your way up to longer days. You will be surprised just how your fitness improves over the seven days. Usually, by day four, people are striding out! A positive mental attitude is most important. If you focus on the scenery, the company and the moment, not on the kilometres, then you find yourself reaching your destination with little problem. If you have done some training before the walk, you will enjoy it all the more.
The best way to prepare physically for the trip is to walk, walk and walk some more – preferably in sand and over various terrain. Try to walk frequently. Even walking around your suburb will get you walk-fit. By the start of your Cape to Cape, you should be able to comfortably walk 15km and try and do a few 20km walks on rough tracks. The Operator knows that this type of preparation is difficult to fit into a busy schedule. If you don't have the time to do long walks, they recommend doing regular stair walking sessions. Walking small distances frequently helps a lot as well. For instance, walking 3–5km four times a week, and 8km once a week, is a great help. If you're doing short training sessions, make sure you get yourself puffed and sweaty. Otherwise, you won't benefit from your efforts. And start walking in the shoes you will wear on the walk now!
- Day-pack - with a thick waist strap to help take some weight off your shoulders. In wet weather, a waterproof cover or a bin bag to wrap your belongings in can be handy
- Shorts/long pants and shirts for walking - as many sets as you wish! Quick-dry material is best, especially for trousers. Don't wear jeans walking.
- Socks - whichever thickness you're comfortable walking in and as many pairs as you like
- Boots/shoes for walking (make sure you wear them in well)
- Windcheater or lightweight jumper for walking
- Waterproof jacket*
- Sun protection - hat (secure fitting and/or with chin strap), sun cream, sunglasses
- Casual clothes for evenings
- Torch/headlamp (can be handy when twin sharing for getting up at night)
- Any preferred first aid supplies - such as your favourite blister treatment! (Your guide will carry a full first-aid kit)
- Water bottle/s or camelback – 2 to 3-litre capacity
- A lunch container (with freezer brick if desired)
- *You have to expect some bad weather at any time of the year down here, so bring wet weather gear even if the forecast is fine.
- Waterproof pants. Some people love them, and some hate them – it's up to you
- Fly net (especially for walks in warmer weather)
- Camera and charger/batteries
- Gaiters for snake bite protection are recommended unless you wear long pants and long socks. They're also good for keeping sand out of your shoes.
- Sock protectors (to keep sand out of your boots)
- Robust sandals for wading/beach sections
- Bathers and towel
- A small towel to carry during the day
- Snacks and alcohol – there will be time to purchase more during the week if needed. Some people like to have some muesli bars, nuts, lollies etc
- Walking poles
The Operator only runs tours of the Cape to Cape Track in Autumn and Spring, which is the best time of the year to be outdoors in Margaret River. It can get very hot in Margaret River in Summer (as the Cape to Cape is quite an exposed coastal track, anything over 24 degrees can be hard to walk in) and rainy and cold during winter. During the change of season, you will experience mild temperatures between 18 to 26 degrees during the day, dipping to lows of 9 to 13 degrees in the evenings. Expect bad weather any time of the year, so come prepared with wet-weather walking gear.
All meals are included apart from lunch on the last day of the tour. You will have a chance to wander into town on the morning of the last day to source a takeaway lunch option. Breakfast comprises cereal, fruit and toast. Lunch is sometimes prepared and brought to you on the track when The Operator can get vehicle access. On days you are walking in a remote section, guests will pack their lunch in the morning, which consists of cold meats and salad with sandwiches, rolls or wraps. Dinner is a 2-course meal, main and dessert. Each day on the track, you will enjoy the famous baked cakes/biscuits for morning tea, and fresh fruit is always available.
There is plenty of opportunities to purchase alcohol while on tour, as the shops are only a short stroll from your accommodation. Depending on what the group chooses, you might also enjoy a few of the local wineries and breweries on the way back to the accommodation each afternoon.
If you have any special dietary requirements, please let The Operator know when you book; they are happy to adapt the tasty, nutritious meals to suit a variety of dietary needs.
Reviews for 8 Day WA Cape-to-Cape Track Hike
We’d love to hear about your experience! Share your feedback with us, and get rewarded!
All customer cancellation & refund requests are also subject to our website’s own refund conditions.